Library History

Read how this library was established and how it has evolved to become such an important part of our community.

The Public Library at Volga was established under the sponsorship of the Volga Study Club in 1923. It was the first free public library in Clayton County. Mrs. Roberta Smith, who promoted the Woman's Federated Club and Mrs. Katherine Ainsworth were especially instrumental in organizing the library. The first library board members were Hazel Krieg, Alo O'Brien and Ruby Susie. They asked for donations and loan of books. Anna Goodwin then loaned her "parlor" for library use. Books were 'shelved' on her piano. When that became too crowded, the books were transferred to the town hall, also known as the jail or the "doghouse", which was in the basement on Cass Street. This is now called Library Hill because of the library's location at that time. This building was later sold and moved. June 4, 1924, he library was then moved to the old limestone rock schoolhouse (now the coop building). It was open from 2 to 5 P.M. on Tuesdays. After several years, the town council purchased the former Farmer's State Bank building (the present Volga branch of the Central State Bank) and the library was housed there until 1946, when the town purchased the former Volga Savings Bank building across the street for use as a municipal building. This is now the home of the Volga Public Library and the City Hall at 505 Washington St. At first, the library was supported by carnivals and various entertainments to raise funds to purchase books. Later, the town of Volga levied a .002 mill tax to support the library.

This resource is supported by the Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act as administered by State Library of Iowa.